Programs for Adults with Disabilities
The Adult Transition Program serves 18-22 year old students with intellectual disabilities and/or autism who have received a Certificate of Completion from high school and have significant needs for support as they transition to adulthood.
- Aids in the development of young adults with special needs into positive, productive, and contributing members of society
- Serves the Solano Special Education Local Plan Area (SELPA), which includes Benicia, Dixon, Fairfield-Suisun, Travis, and Vacaville unified school districts
All students who attend the Adult Transition Program are referred through the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) process.
Adult Transition Program Components
Some students become clients of the Department of Rehabilitation through the SCOE Transition Partnership Program. The Department of Rehabilitation provides pre-employment skills, training, and support for employment upon the student’s exit from the Adult Transition Program.
Students in the Adult Transition Program are clients of North Bay Regional Center. As students are getting ready to exit the program, the North Bay Regional Center is the link to the transition supports needed for the future. The Adult Transition Program staff teaches students to initiate and maintain a close connection to this agency.
Students in the Adult Transition Program will demonstrate a mastery of a continuum of transition skills based on their unique level of ability with the goal of successfully transitioning to adult living. Skills are developed using community-based instruction in addition to classroom instruction.
Program components include:
- Vocational training
- Community integration
- Travel and/or mobility training
- Communication skills
- Recreational activities
- Self-care and daily living skills
- Functional academic skill development
- Social skill development
- Self advocacy, self determination skill development
- Technology skills
- Support for attending a community college or higher education program
- Family life and sex education
TPP is a collaborative contract with the California Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) and Solano County Office of Education (SCOE).
The TPP program provides employment services including employment preparation, job development and placement, follow up and non-supported employment to those students/DOR clients in Solano County who are either attending:
- High School
- Continuation School
- SCOE Juvenile Court/Community School
- SCOE Adult Program classes
- Career Technical Education classes
- Fairfield-Suisun Adult School
- Solano Community College
- SOAR/STC (Students Achieving Results/School-to-Career)
- Or who are job ready
- Or are foster youth in need of employment services
Workforce Development Services for Local Businesses – Become a partner with SCOE
Benefits to Employers
- Reduced recruitment and placement time
- Pre-screened applicants with evaluated interests and strengths
- Training and support provided by Staffing Specialists
- Potential Federal and State tax credits
- Training wages paid for some employees in SCOE Workforce Development Programs
Benefits of Work Experience
- There is no cost to employers.
- Our trainees are employees of the Solano County Office of Education. We pay their wages, worker’s compensation, and all other employment related costs.
- All trainees have verification of their legal right to work in the United States. Fingerprinting services are provided when necessary.
- There is no binding contract or obligation to hire trainee(s).
- Our Staffing Specialist and Trainers are available to support employers and trainees as needed.
What Is On the Job Training?
- It’s a way to hire and train an employee on the job and receive a training stipend.
- The length of training varies – usually lasting between 3 to 6 months in duration.
- A Staffing Specialist is available to support the employer and employee during this training period.
- An agreement is developed between all parties that outlines the job and training needs.
Other Ways to Be Involved
- Job Shadowing
- Guest Speaking
- Tour of Your Business